This page serves material that is necessary to catch up with the current state of ETH2 development, and equips readers with the knowledge required to begin making meaningful contributions to the Prysm project. Whether you are an expert on all things Ethereum or are new to the blockchain world entirely, there are appropriate resources here that will help you get up to speed swiftly.
Blockchain and Ethereum basics
- What is Blockchain Technology? A Step by Step Guide for Beginners
- What is Bitcoin? A Step by Step Guide for Beginners
- The Science Behind Cryptocurrencies' Cryptography
- The Ins and Outs of Cryptographic Hash Functions
- Blockchain Glossary from A-Z
- Blockchain Addresses 101: What Are They?
- What is Ethereum?
- How Does Ethereum Work Anyway?
- Ethereum Introduction
- Ethereum Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Hashing?
- Hashing Algorithms and Security
- Understanding Merkle Trees
- Ethereum White Paper
- Ethereum Block Architecture
- Ethereum Beige Paper
- What is an Ethereum Token?
- What is Ethereum Gas?
- Bitcoin Original White Paper
- Basic Primer: Blockchain Consensus
- Understanding Blockchain Fundamentals: Byzantine Fault Tolerance
- Understanding Blockchain Fundamentals: Proof of Work vs. Proof of Stake
- Proof of Work vs. Proof of Stake
- Proof of Stake FAQ
- How Does Ethereum Mining Work?
- ETHash Algorithm
Smart Contracts, dApps, and cryptoeconomics
- What are dApps? The New Decentralized Future
- How to Learn Solidity
- Ethereum Development Tutorial
- What is Cryptocurrency Game Theory?
- What is Cryptoeconomics?
- Mechanism Design for Cryptoeconomic Applications
- Cryptoeconomics: An Introduction
- Ethereum Peer to Peer Networking
- How Does the P2P on Ethereum Work?
- How Does Kademlia Work?
- Kademlia Protocol
Ethereum Virtual Machine
- What is the Ethereum Virtual Machine?
- Ethereum VM
- Ethereum Protocol Subtleties
- Awesome Ethereum Virtual Machine
- eWASM background, motivation, goals, and design
- The current eWASM spec
- Latest eWASM community call including live demo of the testnet
- Why eWASM? by Alex Beregszaszi
- Panel: entire eWASM team discussion and Q&A
- Ewasm community meetup at ETHBuenosAires
Ethereum client implementations
- Geth (known also as go-ethereum) is the Golang implementation of ETH1
- Parity the fastest and most performant implementation - written in Rust
- Trinity new project implements Ethereum in Python
- Cpp-Ethereum a C++ implementation of Ethereum
Sharding in Ethereum
This section covers the minimum sharding knowledge requirements for both Prysm's part-time and core contributors.
For part-time contributors
- Blockchain Scalability: Why?
- What Are Ethereum Nodes and Sharding
- How to Scale Ethereum: Sharding Explained
- Sharding FAQ
- Sharding Introduction: R&D Compendium
For core contributors
After reading the sharding material for part-time contributors, it is important to also understand the implementation notes and research that went into developing it.
- Sharding Concepts Mental Map
- Taiwan Sharding Workshop Notes
- Sharding Research Compendium
- Torus Shaped Sharding Network
- General Theory of Sharding
- Sharding Design Compendium
- Phase 0 for Humans
Serenity research posts
- Sharding v2.1 Spec
- Casper/Sharding/Beacon Chain FAQs
- RETIRED! Sharding Phase 1 Spec
- Exploring the Proposer/Collator Spec and Why it Was Retired
- The Stateless Client Concept
- Shard Chain Blocks vs. Collators
- Ethereum Concurrency Actors and Per Contract Sharding
- Future Compatibility for Sharding
- Fork Choice Rule for Collation Proposal Mechanisms
- State Execution
- Fast Shard Chains With Notarization
- RANDAO Notary Committees
- Safe Notary Pool Size
- Cross Links Between Main and Shard Chains
Serenity-related conference talks
- Sharding Presentation by Vitalik from IC3-ETH Bootcamp
- Latest Research and Sharding by Justin Drake from Tech Crunch
- Beacon Casper Chain by Vitalik and Justin Drake
- Proofs of Custody by Vitalik and Justin Drake
- So You Want To Be a Casper Validator by Vitalik
- Ethereum Sharding from EDCon by Justin Drake
- Casper CBC and Sharding by Vlad Zamfir
- Casper FFG in Depth by Carl
- Ethereum & Scalability Technology from Asia Pacific ETH meet up by Hsiao Wei